[Spridgets] Help - Seemingly Incurable Brake Fade

Peter Caldwell peter at nosimport.com
Sat Oct 3 08:07:51 MDT 2009

What Dean says.

         You said "fade". That's when brakes overheat and become less
effective in a single stopping action.

Having to pump the pedal to get brakes can have several causes....
mechanical and/or hydraulic

Hydraulic.... as you know, air in the system. Having even a small
weep can cause this. Fix that, especially if it is at a fitting.

Mechanical..... Brake pistons (caliper or wheel cylinder) can only
move very little. The pads or shoes must be set so they are very
close to the disc or drum.
         Disc.. no adjustment BUT, if there is play in the wheel
bearings, or hub or the disc is warped, the resulting wobble
(run-out) will push the pistons in farther than they can be pushed
out in a single pedal pump.
         Drum...shoes must be adjusted to be close to the drums.
There are return springs that retract the shoes, and hence the
pistons as far as permitted by the adjusters. You should have no more
than 4 clicks on the handbrake lever. To test this, fully engage the
handbrake, and feel if the pedal is different. Unlike discs, shoes
wont retract during rotation. (unless the drums are horribly wonky)
         The several quick pumps "catches" the shoes/cylinders before
they've had time to fully retract.

         Double check that stuff. It's ONLY brakes.
Peter C.
=====