[Spridgets] Help - Seemingly Incurable Brake Fade

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 16:51:25 MDT 2009

59 Bugeye 1275. .  disk brake conversion from a latter year Sprite.

I have bled the master cyl, the slave cyl and all the wheels beginning at
the passenger side rear wheel and working to the driver side rear, then to
the passenger side front, and the driver side front.

All bled out. .  still get brake fade. . it still feels like I am still
pushing air through the brake lines when I pump the brakes to stop.

It does improve some after I finish bleeding them. . but I still have to
pump them down to stop.

Could a very small leak on the passenger side rear brake cause this much
loss of pressure?  I have lived with the leak for a good two years without
any brake fade until now.  When I top off the brake fluid there is only a
small amount of fluid needed to top off the system suggesting that the leak
is still extremely minor.

I am going to fix the leak this weekend.  . however, I feel like the fix
will not improve the problem.

I am stumped on this one.  Feels like I am driving my old 1960 VW when I was
a kid.  I stopped that thing on air for 5 years.

Anyone ever face this problem in a non leaking brake system?

Any ideas are certainly appreciated!

Kirk