[Spridgets] NY Plates

Jeff Foster tr3.4.me at gmail.com
Thu May 14 08:29:49 MDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:29 AM, 72 Spridget <72spridget at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The application for registration must be accompanied by an affirmation of
>> the owner that such vehicle will be driven on the highway only for the
>> purpose of going to and returning from an antique auto show or an
>> exhibition, or for servicing or demonstration and also affirming that the
>> mechanical condition, physical condition, brakes, lights, glass and
>> appearance of such vehicle is the same or as safe as originally equipped.
>> </quote>
>>
>> So if a SOS Officer was in a bad mood (never, I know<G>) and saw you
>> drive your car(s) TO work and then LATER in the day HOME.....
>>
>> I just fail to see the 'need' to save the trifling amount(s) (I have FOUR
>> (4) cars that DO qualify) vs even just one "ticket/yanked/court/towing"
>> session<VBG>!!!
>>

> Trifling amount? I guess I don't have your kind of money! Let me see...
> four cars with normal plates for five years = $1560 or $312 per year.
> Four cars with antique plates for five years = $120 or $24 per year. $288
> per year is NOT quite trifling to me.
> I will admit that I have been seriously contemplating reverting the Midget
> to "normal" plates.

I have to agree about the "trifling amount" comment!  That $12 fee last year
(which covers last year AND this year)  when I converted from normal plates
to antique plates was a whole lot easier to pay!

My 73 doesn't get used as a daily driver, but there are days when it's all I
use!  :-)

Of course per the above quoted IL rules most of my driving is for
demonstration purposes!

The only guys who seem to have trouble with antique plates here in
west-central IL are the ones who insist on running "year of manufacture -
aka. historical plates".

Quoting IL SOS website : Historical License Plates, representing the model
year, may be displayed on an antique vehicle, provided the owner has valid,
current Antique Vehicle Plates. Plates and registration must be kept in the
vehicle at all times.

I fully understand giving those guys grief because without a current
registered plate on the car the police have no idea who the car is
registered to!

It may help that one of the ranking officers here drives a very nice (1966 I
believe) Chevy II with antique plates (he mounts historical plates when he
shows it) ... and he's certainly been seen driving it for casual use!