[Spridgets] MG 2009

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 13:57:29 MDT 2009

Guy,
The OPEC fuel crunch was used as the justification of our 55MOPH
national limit as well. It was predicated to reduce consumption by a
stupefying 2.5 percent. In actuality, it has since been determined
that it might half save one half of one percent. Meanwhile, it changed
a nation of drivers that frequently observed the speed limit as well
as other laws into a nation which realized that it was going to break
that law, so why stop there? In the Chicago area there are roads where
the norm, as stated by the gendarmes who enforce it, is that as long
as you are within 15mph of the posted limit, you will not be pulled
over. Other areas at specific times of day you can be driving 30mph
over and have people flying by you. As Brad says, if you are not at
LEAST 5 over if not 10 over, you run the risk of inciting road rage in
the other drivers on the road. Anyone poking along at the posted speed
limit is considered a road hazard. I just drove my Bugeye about 2000
miles this past weekend (actually from Friday morning to Monday
evening) on roads that were primarily 70mph. I felt rather guilty that
I was not doing at least 80 the whole time.
David L