[Spridgets] MG 2009

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 18 13:06:11 MDT 2009

Surely Spridgets were designed as a UK highway sports car?  Our highways
were winding and twisty and narrow and when you got onto the country roads
you could be in a position where you had to reverse to move onto the verge
and let an oncoming car pass.   We could not (and still cannot) compete with
your Highway systems.

In those days the whole of the UK had 2 motorways (2 lanes in each direction
with hard shoulders / safety margins)  the M1 and the M6, and there was no
speed limit on those.  You could go as fast as the car would let you.  Many
other roads, both major and non-town ones were 'derestricted'  (no speed
limit) and the common thing to hold you back was simply getting behind the
'cloth cap' driver in his 3 speed family saloon.  Driving was a skill then,
not just a 'hug the bumper of the car in front with your wheels next to the
centre line' experience as it is today.

If you drove 2,000 miles in the UK that was around 3 months average driving
distance for the 'cloth cap' man.  Todays average annual UK driving  is only
around 13-14,000 miles.

Our 70mph limit was brought in as a road safety measure but a fuel shortage
was a very handy tag to use to initiate it.

Guy R Day