[Spridgets] Mk 1 wipers

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 3 07:58:17 MDT 2009

The travel of the wipers is a function of the nylon gear in the wiper unit.
There should be a degree number stamped on the top of the gear.  There are
various gears to suit various cars.  Sprites, Morris Minors, Austin A30, 35
etc.  The location of the drive post relative to the axle of the gear is
what determines the amount of cable pulled and pushed and hence the amount
of windscreen swept with each stroke.  You can swap out the gear for the
correct one if you can determine which one it is.  I believe I have a
Sprite gear in my Morris truck wiper motor and the sweep is too little for
the "clapping hands" wipers.  What a pain.  If the nut that attaches the
cable housing to the wiper motor is not tight, the play will reduce the
wiper throw also.

Glen Byrns