[Spridgets] Ed Iskenderian Racing Cams' letter re: oil

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Wed Jul 22 20:28:47 MDT 2009

I finally got the time to go get that letter out and read it.  Very
interesting stuff.

 The letter reads, in part: "Isky recommends the use of only the following
motor oils for maximum cam lobe and lifter protection BEFORE and AFTER the
break-in period because they are the only conventional mineral based oils
available with generous levels of zinc/phosphorous additive package:
Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 ** The very best of all in our opinion and the only oil
refined from 100% Pennsylvania crude.

Pennzoil "GTP" Racing Oil (excellent - do not confuse with regular grade
Pennzoil).

Valvoline Racing Oil (excellent - do not confuse with regular grades of
Valvoline or Valvoline VR-1)

**Because we believe Brad-Penn product (formerly known as Kendall GT-1) to be
superior to all other oils, we have enclosed a product brochure for your
convenience."

Pretty strong testimony, from one of the long-time, leading manufacturers of
high performance camshafts.

Isky does, however, advocate adding ZDDP (EOS from any GM dealer) if you do
not use one of the above mentioned oils.
They also say the following about full synthetic oils:
"Please note, Isky does not recommend the use of synthetic oils with any flat
tappet camshaft - especially during break-in.  If you must use synthetic oil
after break-in, there are only two brands we are comfortable recommending.
They are Amsoil (Red) Racing Oil and Joe Gibbs Performance Racing Oil.  Both
contain zinc and phosphorous and will fare well AFTER break-in has been
successfully completed.  Other synthetics, especially those with very low
viscosity index numbers (i.e. 0w-15, 5w-20 etc.) have very low film strength
and are not designed for, nor should they be employed in any flat-tappet cam
installation."

Pretty interesting, and indicative of how important it is to them that the
correct oil be used with their cams (all flat-tappet cam manufacturers have
seen some pretty ridiculous increases in their warranty claims since the
advent of the dreaded API SM spec oils).  Isky also points out that, since
'04, the removal of ALL ZDDP from SM spec engine oils was mandated.  Yikes!

Food for thought.

Bud Osbourne