[Spridgets] oil for spridgets

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 07:46:05 MDT 2009

Larry wrote:
> I recently bought an AL V-8.  It came out of an MGB and had less than 500
> miles on it.  The mutt crashed it that fast.  I looked at the cam and two
of
> the lobes were wiped.  One of the lifters looked like a bad case of acne.
> Less than 500 miles.

My understanding is that it is a slow killer of a properly broken in
engine. OTOH, in a newly rebuilt engine, the absence of zddp can lead
to early failure. The evidence is way beyond anecdotal at this point.
The new oil is ok for the new technology engines and the absence of
zddp extends the life expectancy of the catalytic, but it is certainly
an issue with Spridget engines.
David L