[Spridgets] 2009 Chevies

Kathryn Bales kgb at frontiernet.net
Mon Jul 6 16:16:49 MDT 2009

I have a 1976 C-30 that will probably run forever, but with a 12' flat
bed, it's really not suitable for a daily driver. The 7mpg also
relegates him to use as a hay hauler and not much else.  A friend is
presently using him as an engine rebuild platform. My 1989 F-350 crew
cab is my trailer puller, gets slightly better mileage that the Chevy,
and has needed a heater core and starter in the years I have had him. He
uses a little over a quart of oil between changes. My 1989 Cherokee,
which is my daily driver, has needed one alternator, two fuel pumps, a
4WD actuator, a brain, and a passenger window motor. He also gets almost
30mpg on the highway (I swear officer, I have no idea where the
emissions components went.), and uses less than a quart of oil between
changes.  Barry, my 1989 LeBaron convertible, needed a head gasket last
winter, and I put on a timing belt at the same time, so he should be
good for a long time to come. He is going to Idaho this month for a new
top and some pleasure cruising. Madge, the 1972 Midget, is on her fourth
engine, which still does not leak or burn oil. I must have made a
serious mistake when I put it together.

In my opinion, the new cars are being made to be a disposable item. A
person is not expected to keep them longer than 2 - 3 years, and is
certainly not expected to do any of his own maintenance.  Every
manufacturer  seems to use the same computer program to design their
body shells, and one must read the label to know what is parked next to
you.  20 - 30 years ago, a manufacturer took pride in their product and
bragged on how long they would last.

Kate