[Spridgets] Bugeye bonnet supports

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 11:37:40 MST 2009

--- On Fri, 1/30/09, Peter Caldwell <peter at nosimport.com> wrote: "I placed a
shipping scale on the valve cover with a spacer (box of Austin Marina brake
shoes) that would touch the bonnet..."

Peter,
I may not have completely pictured in my head what you're trying to say
here.  It seems like the measurement you describe would be the weight to open
the bonnet, or to hold it in the almost down position.  When the bonnet is in
the fully up position, wouldn't it take much less pressure to actually hold it
there?  To measure that, looks like you'd need to use a prop rod between the
scale and the bonnet while it is balanced in the approximate up position you'd
want it to be in when open.  Then again, if not much of the bonnet weight is
actually above and behind the hinge when in the open position, the difference
may be insignificant and your method could be acurate.  Or I may have
completely misunderstood what you were saying.  90 pounds just sounds heavy to
me.

Of course, my Spridget isn't a BE, so what do I know anyway...  :-)

David Booker
'71 Midget
Long Island