[Spridgets] 2011 Spridget Event -Longest

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 14:48:33 MST 2009

I've done the ALCAN twice on motorcycle. The first time was in April of 1976
and it was ALL muddy gravel. At least the part of it that wasn't a foot deep
in snow around Summit Pass  ;-) It took a week from Dawson Creek to Tok.

Just for old time's sake I went again in 2003 on motorcycle. It was a let
down. There was only about 25 miles of gravel total. The rest was nicely
paved. I did the 1200 miles in 3 days one way and at a nice leisurely pace.
I also found that parts of the route have gotten all Yuppie Touristy though
the lodge at Muncho Lake had great German beer and incredible German food!
On that trip I also did the Cassiar-Stewart Highway, the Klondike Highway,
and the Top of the World Highway. Those roads were like what I remembered of
the ALCAN in 1976!!

It's a great trip and I highly recommend it for either Spridget or
motorcycle!  I want to do it again before I'm too old.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Rick Bastedo <rbastedo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim, so you're from Homer -  "that little drinking town with a fishing
> problem".
> I believe I left a dollar on the wall of a certain establishment there...
> I've been there many times, fishing & just having fun.
> That was back in the 80's - I moved back down to the Seattle area in '86.
>
> I drove the ALCan several times in a 69 MGB GT and then in a 69 MGC GT.
> Once Seattle to Fairbanks to Anchorage all in one shot. Now that was a
> drive
> in the middle of June!!!
> Haven't done it in a Spridget yet, that would be a hoot.
> Is it paved yet?
> In the early 80's there was at least 1100 miles of gravel broken up by a
> few
> stretches of blacktop.
>
> Some of the best food at the little gas station / restaurants along the
> way.
> I remember one place that only charged about $3.00 for a great steak & eggs
> breakfast.
> I think I left a $10 tip it was so good!
> Those were the good days, back when I could sit & drive thousands of miles
> without any limitations.
>
> Rick Bastedo

> From: James Lempe <oldtimealaskan at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fwd: Re: 2011 Spridget Event -Longest distance
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Well, I'll go to the event and settle all the distance controversy.   I
> live
> in Homer Alaska.  Thats 2300 miles just to get to Seattle.  If you want to
> googlemap the distance my address is 64350 Bridger Rd., Homer Alaska 99603.
>
> I drove the car up here from San Diego three years ago so driving back down
> will not be a new event.  If  you have never driven the old ALCAN highway
> (now
> called the Alaska Highway) it's just miles and miles of miles and miles.
>
> Jim Lempe
> Homer AK

Cheers!!
Jim
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough
to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson