[Spridgets] 2011 Spridget Event -Longest

Rick Bastedo rbastedo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 13:36:03 MST 2009

Hi Jim, so you're from Homer -  "that little drinking town with a fishing
problem".
I believe I left a dollar on the wall of a certain establishment there...
I've been there many times, fishing & just having fun.
That was back in the 80's - I moved back down to the Seattle area in '86.

I drove the ALCan several times in a 69 MGB GT and then in a 69 MGC GT.
Once Seattle to Fairbanks to Anchorage all in one shot. Now that was a drive
in the middle of June!!!
Haven't done it in a Spridget yet, that would be a hoot.
Is it paved yet?
In the early 80's there was at least 1100 miles of gravel broken up by a few
stretches of blacktop.

Some of the best food at the little gas station / restaurants along the way.
I remember one place that only charged about $3.00 for a great steak & eggs
breakfast.
I think I left a $10 tip it was so good!
Those were the good days, back when I could sit & drive thousands of miles
without any limitations.

Rick Bastedo

From: James Lempe <oldtimealaskan at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fwd: Re: 2011 Spridget Event -Longest distance

Hi Guys,

Well, I'll go to the event and settle all the distance controversy.   I live
in Homer Alaska.  Thats 2300 miles just to get to Seattle.  If you want to
googlemap the distance my address is 64350 Bridger Rd., Homer Alaska 99603.

I drove the car up here from San Diego three years ago so driving back down
will not be a new event.  If  you have never driven the old ALCAN highway
(now
called the Alaska Highway) it's just miles and miles of miles and miles.

Jim Lempe
Homer AK