[Spridgets] SUV's

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 13:51:36 MST 2009

Really, how many people in my state, California, really use their 4 wheel
drive option?

I talk to people who buy these things and hear all the time that they never
engage 4 wheel drive.

So what is the big thing about having to have 4 wheel drive when it never
gets any use?   And from what I understand, if you do not engage your 4
wheel drive once in a while, they can go out more frequently which equals a
huge repair bill for something that the person never needed in the first
place!

Unless you are headed to Tahoe on a regular basis, or you are into 4 wheel
events, then the idea of having to have this feature eludes me.

Also, chains on Tahoe work fine.  I used to snow ski up there on a weekly
basis.  Never had issues when simply using chains.  And yet I have seen 4
wheel drives skidding off the road under black ice conditions because the
owner didn't think that they needed chains, even with snow tires.

I confess that I did own a big Jeep 4 wheel drive, Wagoneer type, 2000
model, something like that.  However, I also owned a very heavy boat and had
difficulty pulling it up slippery ramps with my two wheel drive.

I would engage 4 wheel low and could tow that boat out of any of the worst
ramps you could imagine.

So I guess I contradict myself.  Must be that all of these 4 wheel drive
people own large heavy boats.

I will stick to the small lightweight car that presents a real driving
experience, my Bugeye with 1275,  Weber and all the fun upgrades I have had
the pleasure of doing to it.

Kirk
59 BE

PS
Last night coming back from Subway sandwhiches in my BE, top up, with the
rain coming down, headlights showing their beem down the road doing a
whopping 40 MPH, and the sound of that 1275 through the headers and Monza
exhaust- I was transported as though I was driving down the Mulsane straight
in the 24 hours of Le Mans (as seen on so many You Tube videos).   The best
way to go out and grab a Subway sandwich I can think of!  To me, no more fun
car to drive than a Spridget!  And we all understand the joy of such a pure
visceral driving experience!