[Spridgets] numbers on the doors of our Spridgets question.....

David Woerpel dwoerpel at wi.net
Wed Feb 18 14:53:59 MST 2009

Hi List,

Linda brings up some good points for us A.R. people who relish the
historical aspect of our cars.

I purchased 17606 in Sept. of 1976 and started getting interested in the
history of my "new" toy.  I found out about the BMIHT, then called, BL
Heritage Trust, and wrote to Anders in 1984.  The following is the part
of the information I received that pertains to this thread.  (this came
as a letter as the certificates were not yet given)

> Car #:  *AN5L/17606*  (On engine chassis plate below air cleaners)
>
> Car #:  ???????????  (Stamped into left side front wishbone mounting
> bracket)
>
> Body #:  *BAE/17737*  (Plate inside right side door pillar)
>
> ????? #:  *AN 517542*  [Plate inside left (near) side door pillar]
>
> ????? #:  *17547*   [Stamped into right (off) side body under main
> wiring loom & flasher relay (master cylinder, RHD cars)]
>
> ????? #:  ?????  [Left hand shock absorber (damper) mounting plate]
>
> Engine #:  *9C-U-H 17604*  (On engine block plate above #1 sparking plug)
>
> Transmission #:  ????? (not recorded)

As you can see there are some blanks which I would love to fill.
Apparently the number on the damper plate is located under the damper so
I will wait to find that number.  Anders was unable to shed any light on
the meaning of the numbers (1) on the shock plate, (2) on the body under
the main harness(17547), and (3) on the plate inside the left (near)
side door pillar.  This was as of 1992 when I wrote him on another
matter.  If anyone has any info I'd like to hear it.  Any info that
comes in I'd be grateful if someone would "store" it for me as I'm
leaving 2/20 and won't "enable" the list until 3/2.  I'll "disable" you
all the morning of 2/20.  Now there is a straight line for you!

Many thanks and don't get into any fights while I'm gone.

Dave W.