[Spridgets] Snow in Britain

David Ramsey dwramsey at att.net
Sun Feb 8 10:23:18 MST 2009

Here we have a problem with Donner Pass on I-80. The last two times I drove
my El Camino with studded snow tires over the pass, chains were required
except 4WD with snow tires.  Because of all season tires (the only kind you
can buy around here) they require chains if there is 1" of snow at the top
of the pass. I have three problems with this.  First where they make you put
on your chains the pavement has no snow, both times my chains broke before I
got to the snow. So I put on the chains, go through inspection, drive a mile
or so where they can't see me and take the chains off. The second problem is
the 4WD's that don't need chains. The speed limit is 30 mph when chains are
required, so they drive 60 until they hit the snow and start doing donuts
and running off the road.  Then they stand in the middle of the road and try
to flag you down, the CHP and tow trucks won't go up there unless they close
the road, why would I stop and put my life in danger? Usually the CHP waits
until there are 8 or 10 in the ditches before they will close the road, big
surprise they are all 4WDs.  The third problem is in town, the mayor in his
great wisdom has decided that only the main streets will be plowed until
they are dry. So you have to chain up drive two blocks, remove the chains,
and repeat the process to get home.
  		Crash