[Spridgets] Snow in Britain

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 18:43:39 MST 2009

--- On Sat, 2/7/09, Ed's Shop <shop at justbrits.com> wrote:
> Grasshopper, your feelings ??
> (he is about 90 miles NNW of me.)

I actually think the people around here do a great job of winter driving. I'm amazed at the low number of incidents. I spoke to Frank a few weeks ago and he asked why I'm not driving the Alfa. Having grown up on on the east coast in climate tempered by the ocean, I know where he's coming from - it's wayyyyyyyyyy different here in the upper Midwest. There's snow on the road constantly for 4 months (well, not today - it was 54F!). If there's no snow, there's black ice (that's when I see the real carnage, and I have hit it at 10 MPH and gone for many hundreds of yards without any control). Here, it's not like it snows and the road is cleared until next time. There's ALWAYS snow and slop on the road. I think maybe that's why people are decent drivers in it. And, I must admit, I have come to adore my wife's Subaru Tribeca in the snow. It's AWD and tracking control system is mind-blowing. The winter package with heated seats, mirrors, wiper fluid and wipers(!)
 is awesome.

Ron