[Spridgets] Flat towing

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Mon Feb 2 05:15:06 MST 2009

Hi, Michael.  I've flat-towed MGBs, Porsche 356s, and all kinds of VWs.
Besides the obvious stuff, like disconnecting the drive shaft, the main
thing is that you pull from the exact centerline of the tow vehicle, and
that the tow bar is arranged so that the hitch is exactly on the centerline
of the car you are towing, and securely mounted to it.  If you do this, you
will have no trouble with the towed car wandering, or whipping.
One thing that bothers me, with a car a tiny as a Spridget, is that (unless
you are towing it with another Spridget), you can't see the sides of the car
in your side-view mirrors.  This means that, in the event of a tire failure,
you won't notice it until it's pretty far advanced.
Also, you have to do a lot of advanced planning/thinking, when maneuvering
in tight quarters, as you can't back up without doing some damage.
All in all, you would probably be better off renting a U-Haul trailer (NOT
to be confused with a tow-dolly).  I've seen some pretty neat, aluminum,
U-Haul rigs that would be very nice to tow with.
Good luck, whichever you decide.
Bud Osbourne