[Spridgets] Counter-rotating props... No LBC!!

Dave G. kk7ss at verizon.net
Sat Aug 29 17:58:06 MDT 2009

The standard ground crew when starting the engines on a Shackleton
consisted of three men.
One man to signal the pilot as to which engine to start. Starboard
inboard (aka  #3) was always first as it had the main generator

Another person was to man the fire extiguisher trolley.

The third man had his back to the craft andvfaced the other two. His
job was to make sure the other two did not get hypnotised by the
light patterns produced by the props and walk into them!!
He had a pick handle to help enforce his job..

This actually happened once on my base... the starter walked into the
props during run-up!!

I was one of the NCO's I/C dispersal ground crew on 240 SQDN...

--
Dave G.   KK7SS  Richland, WA
'06 Honda Civic Hybrid

If I wake up in the morning, and I hurt, it means that I'm still
alive !!