[Spridgets] Aviation piston engine question - No LBC

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 11:15:28 MDT 2009

Daniel,

Quite a few V8 applications were used in aircraft. Most of the early ones
were air cooled such as the Liberty or the Lewis & Kelly in Australia. That
said, at least according to my books and the internet, your co-worker is
right as far as I can see. I find no record of ANY use of a factory made
aircraft from ANY country with V8 engines. However, it is not unusual for
restoration aircraft to use engines which weren't available originally to
the plan in order to get one flying. There are quite a few outfits today who
make aviation quality V8s to replace many of the old engines which can no
longer be found. Perhaps that is what you heard at Brize Norton.

See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8_engine

And:
http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/bomber-aircraft-of-the-world.asp

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM, <WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com> wrote:

> I know a v12 when I hear one, even before youtube.  This was a twin  engine
> aircraft or a 4 engine aircraft - a small to medium size bomber.

> corvallis at peoplepc.com writes:
>
> I'm  wondering if an idling Allison or Roll-Royce engine would sound like
> V-8?  ...bill in  oregon

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein