[Spridgets] Bugeye steering column

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Tue Aug 18 19:09:41 MDT 2009

Phil Nase wrote:
> I'm replacing repro felts in the column.  The repro's were too thick
> and steering was too tight.  I see on the originals I'm putting in
> they are the same size but one has a hole dead center.  Is this the
> upper or lower?  Should the hole be oriented a certain way?
>
> The workshop manual I have shows a 3rd felt which is narrower and a
> clip, that look like they go in or near the underdash column bracket.
> I don't have it and wonder if I need it or if it even is part of the
> Bugeye setup.
>
> The outer column has one end rolled and one straight.  Does the
> straight end point to the steering wheel?
>
> Does the outer column extend past the toe box into the engine bay or
> stop short of the hole?
> Should the inner column be painted?

Phil

I just took apart an unmolested Bugeye column to check all of this out.
The felt with the hole goes on the bottom, the hole on mine was
orientated at 9:00 looking down the column from the top.
I don't know what it's for or why, but that's the way this one is.

The 3rd felt is not felt but the rubber under the clamp where it bolts
up. I have used rubber from an inner tube before, or even hockey stick tape.

The rolled over edge was the bottom. Straight edge to steering wheel.

The column protrudes 18" out of the bottom, measured from the end of the
pinion clamp to the start of the outer sleeve.
It measures 3" from the sleeve to the end of the splined end (steering
wheel end)

If you do not paint them, they rust, the one I have is rusty where it
sticks out from the sleeve.

It does protrude past the toe kick a little, since it's not in a car,
and I have a chrome pipe in my Speedwell, I measured it this way....
The clamp under the dash should be 9-1/8 inch from the top (S/wheel end)
of the sleeve to the center of the bolt holes.

You should be able to get it from all these numbers.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ