[Spridgets] Hope...for GM?

chuck cciaffone at verizon.net
Thu Oct 30 11:29:37 MST 2008

<rant>
I drove Chebbies for years. Started with a '52, then a '57(my favorite)
then a '61 (huge and clubby compared to the '57), the a '67
Chevelle, and finally a '69 Chevelle. Keep in mind, these
were all bought new!  The last two really did it. Quality
was crap. Engines were crap, especially compared to
the '57 283. Useful life span was maybe a few years.

Early pollution control devices really screwed up those
'60s engines.

And remember the under-the-hood manual shifting linkages??
They NEVER fixed that problem. Shift too quick from first to
second, and the disks jammed. Like you were in first, but
the lever was floating and useless. Had to stop, raise the hood,
and fiddle the disks to get going again.

Anyway, after those last two I swore I would never drive another
American car again. I lied. Twenty years later I started
on Hondas (yes, made in the US or A!). These cars I keep
on average about 11-12 years per. Now I admit, the Midget
gets most of the driving. Our '97 Civic has all of 50k miles.
The 72 Midge, well over 120k.

Pardon my French, but screw the chebbies!
</rant>

chuck (t'other chuck)