[Spridgets] Hope...for GM?

Mike Rambour mikey at b2systems.com
Wed Oct 29 15:11:32 MST 2008

  Your sig file says it all about your pushing American built
cars/trucks.  But I have to admit that you are correct about the
factories and how badly they are needed for a proper defense of this
country should it ever go to a serious war.

  As to GM building a competitive car in every sector, that is a bit of
stretch, before I go further, all my old cars are foreign cars but all
my daily drivers have been GM cars (never owned a FORD yet) since the
mid-1970's and last year I purchased my first new foreign car because
there was no match for it by GM or FORD.  GM builds a quality car
nowdays and that quality competes with the best that Japan can put
together but if you are looking for a convertible, all you are left with
is that rather pretty but useless Solstice and its twin (forget the name
right now). I actually delayed my new car purchase because I planned on
buying one.  Then I saw how small/tiny the trunk was once the top was
down, the salesman even said "you put everything for the weekend in the
trunk and drive where you are going, then put the stuff in the hotel
room and drive around with the top down"  I could not believe it when he
suggested driving with the top UP, why buy a convertible in that case ?
My wife was against it but I took it for a drive, punched it coming out
of a corner and almost slammed into the windshield because of the rev
limiter, it felt like a super low rev limiter but I was at the redline
which "felt" like I was no where near it.  I turned around and returned
the car and never looked back.  Did not even check on its road
handling.  GM has interesting ideas on some cars is about the best I can
say but sports cars is not one of them, so now there is a Honda in my
driveway, 8K redline that feels right and a useable trunk and 11,000
miles on it with way less than 500 with the top up.

 I own 5 cars, a 2000 GM truck with 30,000 miles on it and 4
convertibles, life is lived in the open air and GM does not build one
for life.

    mike

p.s. isn't this a Spridget list ?

David Riker wrote:
> I don't believe in buy American just for the sake of it, but I guarantee
> that model for model,  GM builds a vehicle that is competitive in every
> segment.

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
      mikey at b2systems.com