[Spridgets] Why are my points melting??

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Sun Oct 19 13:53:49 MDT 2008

> Ya know the plastic piece that runs on the dizzy cam?? its melting. I
> figure that it means there is juice somewhere it ain't supposed to be.
> I don't know if this means anything, but I do leave the key in the
> ignition, but off. I have been doing that for years, so my guess is
> that is not it. Or maybe the key switch is worn and it is now melting
> the points??
>
> I also have the Lucas Gold Coil in it.

So is the coil getting hot, too? Does the voltmeter show anything
between the positive side of the coil and ground when the car is
"off"? One would expect it to have a hard time turning off the
engine if it was not cutting the power to the coil. Assuming you
have a fairly normal ignition system (you did say you had points),
the only voltage that should be coming to the points would be
coming by way of the coil. What all wires are connected to
your coil? Yes, both sides.
At least we all now know how many people out there are
trying to steal 1500 Midgets...
David Lieb