[Spridgets] [midgetsprite] Exxon Valdez is in remission!

Robert E. Shlafer pilotrob at msn.com
Sun May 25 12:16:09 MDT 2008

Sorry, Jim...I didn't catch all your earlier posts on this. :)

While the old ventilated engines ran a tube from the valve cover to the front carb only on the stock double SU set-up....,it would make more sense to involve all cylinders rather than just the forward or rear two considering your desire to run a true closed
circuit PCV system, which the ventilated motors certainly did not run.

And this is what the later SU carbs equipped with emissions tubes had in mind. That's what the modern
emissions tube equipped SU's do. But you've an older model SU without the modern emmissions tubes so the best you can do is match a PCV valve to your
manifold.

Of course, you could drill the other branch of the Titan and using the "correct"
in-line PCV valve in the "main" hose from the cannister on the timing chain cover, acquire and install a "Y" connector and run two hoses, one to  each side of the intake manifold.

Or, for $400 you could acquire a new, ball- bearing equipped HIF44 with emissions tube housing the correct size "graduated
orifice" for a closed loop PCV system and the hell with a PCV valve.

Or...simply run "ventilated" as in pre-emission motors. Which I've always done
with all my Series A motors, whether emission type or not. I just convert them
"back" and run without octane diluting
crankcase vapors being introduced into
the combustion process. Stays cleaner in there longer!!!!

And as long as you keep the motor tuned, you're not gonna pollute to any great extent.

Even my PO'd Vizardized 1340+ VP3 equipped motor running 11.0-1 on a mix of CAM2 "purple" and unleaded "93" almost made emissions specs for the year of the machine ('74 Midget) in CT. Missed it by a hairbreath in HC by less than 200ppm.

Pretty damn clean for a motor which got
a dynoed 90HP at the rear wheels.

So you'll not be polluting much, Jim. Just keep it reasonable well-tuned up.

CapBob