[Spridgets] Earthquake--follow-up

Larry Daniels ladaniels at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 29 14:42:59 MDT 2008

Buster,

Think of it in terms of "percent chance".  Based upon population figures in
the latest census we calculated that any given individual has 1 chance in 10
million of being hit by a violent tornado (see:
http://www.flame.org/~cdoswell/tor_probs/vtornado_prob.html)

Chances of even seeing a tornado are something like 1 in 8 million. (Unless,
of course, you are a meteorological researcher and are actively looking for
them).  The vast majority of people living here in "Tornado Alley" have never
even seen a tornado. Also, chances are excellent that you will get a warning
to seek cover at least 20 minutes before a tornado could hit you and tornadoes
only impact an average of about 3 square miles.

For earthquakes however, your chances of experiencing an earthquake, say,
somewhere in southern California, are something like 1 in 10.  Earthquakes
impact thousands of square miles when they occur and *everyone* in that large
area experiences it.

I'll take my chances with tornadoes any day!

Cheers!!
Jim

I went through a tornado 35 years ago.  Minor damage to my house - windows,
chimney and roofing damage.  The next house had their garage moved over by
about three feet.  The next house had the biggest pieces of their garage found
3 blocks away.  The next lost the roof and contents from the second floor.
The next house... wasn't.  Their basement was all that was left.

Not fun.  Wouldn't want to do it again.

LAD