[Spridgets] No LBC - Need Some English Translated into English!

Guy Weller guy.weller at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jul 19 01:18:41 MDT 2008

OK, From a Brit, born and bred in Oxford and with 59 years experience of the
language.
Whine and Whinge are two different words. First is pronounced like the stuff
you drink; long "i". Second is pronounced with a very slightly aspirated
"h", short "i" and a soft "g" - more a sort of juh noise.

OK, got that?
"Whinge over" would be similar to "rant over", but a rant would be more
forceful, aggressive. A whinge is a bit of a miserable complaining approach,
and probably goes on a bit too long.  A whine strictly would be the noise -
as in "my back axle whines" but can also be used in the same way as whinge
but is generally less  insistent. Someone admitting to whingeing or whining
is using the typically British self-deprecating approach. They are sort of
mocking themselves whilst also complaining.

Hope you are all learning this. There will be questions next week.

Guy