[Spridgets] Soda Blasting

Mike Rambour mikey at b2systems.com
Mon Jan 14 13:22:05 MST 2008

  Linda,

Soda Blasting is just sand blasting but with Baking Soda, not your
kitchen variety baking soda.  This is a course soda, I would guesstimate
50-60 grit, it blows up on impact into dust.

The advantages are that it has much less friction so there is very
little to no heat generated by the blasting, that means you will not
warp body parts.  Because it is not a abrasive, you can actually see
sand/grind marks in the metal that were put there prior to painting, I
did not believe that part but its true, it leaves the metal new looking,
not blasted looking.  It also leaves a film on the part preventing rust
formation for  they say for up to 3 weeks, giving you time to work with
the part without worrying about flash rust.  It is 100% bio-degradeable
so perfectly safe for the environment and super easy to clean up as you
just hose it down into the gutter.  For engine parts you don't have to
worry about some glass beads in some nook-crannie that will dislodge and
destroy your motor, the soda will dissolve.

The negative is that it leaves a film on the part (that is a plus
above) which you have to clean off prior to painting, its easy to clean
up just a wet rag or garden hose if it is that big.  Since it explodes
on impact it is a one-use powder so it becomes more expensive than sand
that you can recycle and re-use over and over.  But for me the fact that
I can't recycle it is a plus, no more laying out a big blue tarp to
catch the sand and storing sand everywhere.

    mike