[Spridgets] OT cell phones, a little preachy

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 13 02:13:31 MST 2008

We've already gone down the legislative route in the UK over driving and
using mobiles (cell phones) and we can use earpiece Bluetooth or loudspeaker
systems legally whilst driving.  Whilst this is better than using the phone
itself, the fact is that driver concentration is taken away from the task in
hand - driving - whilst using any such system.  UK driving is a tad more
concentration centred than USA driving (we're squashed up more) and there is
a definite problem.
However, having a law does not mean any-one obeys it !  The sight of drivers
with their hand / phone to their ear is common and even drivers of the more
expensive cars with built in Bluetooth abilities will not use it and can be
seen with their phone held to their ear.
You then get the problem of two handed texting whilst driving and the driver
looking at the phone held in the middle of the steering wheel instead of the
road.  Over here, texting is either free or very cheap and young ladies
utilise this facility ever second of the day.  It is lethal.
Cell phone providers can be asked or be given a Court Order to say if a
phone was in use at any one time and are obliged to keep records of mobile
use and there has been European legislation drafted (or perhaps now in
force) for the cell phone providers to keep records of times, who a call is
between and which 'phone masts were used  for a number of years.  They will
charge anywhere from $50 to $120 for this information and it must be a nice
little earner for them.

Guy R Day