[Spridgets] oh oh toy boys

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 13:57:44 MST 2008

Biff,

My uncle had a similar experience with a Chevy back in the early 70s. In his
case there was a note in the bottle that read, "Bet it took you forever to
find this!"

Cheers!!
Jim

On Feb 13, 2008 12:21 PM, Biff Jones <biffjones at verizon.net> wrote:

> > Michael Rowe wrote:   "Remember when a car "Made in America" was a
> joke?"
>
> Back in 1968 I bought a Plymouth Satellite, 318, 4 speed, 2 door coupe.
> Car
> ran fine for about 2 months, after which it developed a clunk in the left
> front end. Start fast, brake hard, or go around a corner hard and it would
> 'clunk'. Took it back to the dealer and after a test drive they confirmed
> the 'clunk'. Mechanics went over the front end, checked everything,
> tightened everything and the clunk was still there. Factory rep was asked
> come and inspect the car. Wasted trip back to the dealer as he was a white
> collar guy who knew nothing but the 'rules'. Was sent to another dealer,
> another test drive with their chief mechanic, after a few 'clunks' he said
> back to the garage. Car was put on a lift, left front tire removed and
> then
> the chief mechanic grabbed a torch and proceeded to cut out the rear
> portion
> of the outer fender well. On the Plymouth there was a partial unity body
> in
> various places. The inner and outer fender wells and part of the firewall
> was one area, all welded together. He cut a 3" x  6" hole and there was a
> coke bottle suspended by a sting. In the bottom of the fender well were
> the
> remains of a few rubber bands. Seems someone on the assembly line was
> hanging the bottles by their necks and then putting rubber bands around
> the
> base of the bottle to soften the 'clunk' until they were worn through or
> dry
> rotted.
>
> Biff Jones
> 'Frogarri' '59 Bugeye
> 'Ole Gray' '61 AH Sprite
> http://sprites2.homestead.com/

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 "Spridget" in Dodge City
Don't miss "50 Years of Spridgets" at Lake of the Ozarks, June 26-29, 2008!!

For info and registration... <http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org>