[Spridgets] Off Thread, but need mens advice.....GPS?

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 07:48:28 MST 2008

I don't think you can go wrong these days. I work with a lot of private and professional pilots as well as a few extreme outdoors types and they swear by Garmin. I have one for my car, I've used the TomTom and I personally have found no real difference for domestic business travel where I rely upon the GPS to find me restaurants hotels, etc. The TomTom has funnier voices to use for turn-by-turn features, which is cute the first time. You don't have to spend much at all to get a good one with lots of features. I am told, however, that the Garmin's map base and useability (is that a word?) is better if you travel a lot in South America or Africa (I did for a while, and the Garmin was OK). I personally do not find the larger screens to be of much benefit, but I do like Bluetooth, which is on pretty much all of them at this point anyway. I try not to use my cell when driving, but having Bluetooth on the GPS is really handy when you need to talk to someone at
 your destination.

YMMV,
Ron