[Spridgets] Lowering a rubber bumper 1500?

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Sun Dec 21 15:56:09 MST 2008

Lee:

The front spring swap will lower the front end to CB height.  Removing the
lift blocks from the rear springs will get you part of the way there in the
rear, but the RB springs still have more arch to them than the CB springs.
To truely get the CB height, you will need to change the rear springs as
well.  How it will look is your opinion.  I think they look good lowered
even farther than that.  You can do almost another inch lower than CB height
and the car will look well planted.  If you are replacing the springs
anyway, specify 1" lower height rear springs, and you can either use spring
pan spacers in the front with the CB springs, or get shorter/stiffer front
springs.  The handling, under normal driving is not noticably different.
You'll feel more difference from all new parts and correct alignment than
you will from a change in the ride height.  Odds are the negative camber
will go away if you replace all of the worn front suspension parts.  The
main drawback to lowering the car is that you will drag the exhaust pipe
over speed bumps more often.
David R.