[Spridgets] A series crankshafts

bv bvsprite at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 16:30:16 MST 2008

OK, I haven't responded to one of these in quite a while...

When I rebuilt my 59 sprite, I wanted to build a rock solid 1275 for street
performance, and the results have worked out great. I strated with a stock
1275 from a 71 midget.
here's what I did:

-Kent MD266 cam which provides a smooth idle and plenty of power. (read the
reviews - even vizard likes it)
-12g940 head, and ported it myself to vizard's specs.
- .02 over Metro 8.8CR pistons,
-Sintered Metro lifters (yeah I know their heavy, but they're strong and
worked out fine)
-crank pistons and fly-wheel dynamically balanced, at a local speed shop
-ARP rod, and head bolts
-maniflow headers, and custom fit RC40 exhaust system
-dellorto DHLA 40 (34mm venturies) K&N filter
-Pertronix ignitor  in stock 25d distributor
-3.9 rearend - Rivergate 5-speed, front disk brakes

This engine idles smooth and revs easily, and has plenty of low end torque,
which you don't get with a racing cam.
For example, I was out for a drive with a few other sprite owners, and one guy
had a 'race' cam and a DCOE45 on his 1275 sprite (very lumpy idle). When we
started up a windy mountain road (HWY 9 - santa cruz mountians), I easily left
the race-preped sprite in the dust. It seems he had to keep his engine revs
really high and stay in low gears to try and keep up (no low end torque).
Now I'm sure on a track, where you keep the car at 60+mph, he'd probably leave
me behind, but since I never run my car on a track, who cares?

BTW-  I've also run the stock dual SU hs2's which had pretty much the same
performance, however, you just gotta love that 'induction growl' from a weber
or dellorto sidedraft:-)