[Spridgets] Beading

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Sun Dec 7 12:58:00 MST 2008

Michael Rowe wrote:
> Recently I have seen several cars that have their beading ground off and faired over.  This might be an easy restoration if they also needed painting, but they all had shiny new paint with a corresponding price.  It might not matter much if the car were patched and modified beyond recognition, but that has not been the case.
>
> What is the general reaction to this situation, and how much does lack of beading reduce the value of an otherwise reasonable car?

I had a Bugeye bonnet de-seamed because the top of the seams were flying
off the car at speed due to rust under them.
I liked the look but it was on PIECES which was a RWA Midget with a
bugeye nose so there was no originality to the car.
On the other hand, I did do it right by grinding off the top seam,
grinding out a V down in the seam and welding a 2" metal piece over the
seam. Some filler to smooth it out.
On my blue Speedwell the rear seams are showing rust bubbles so since
the Speedwell nose has no seams, I think I will de-seam
The rear end. Those seams are always rust catchers and if done properly,
the cars look good IMHO of course.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ