[Spridgets] Motor removal

John Caffrey jdc6 at Lehigh.EDU
Tue Aug 26 07:13:27 MDT 2008

   The  likely  redline  for a race 1275 is 7500 rpm, and conservative is
   7000  rpm.  You  can't rev these like the 948's I used to race at 8000
   rpm. There may be some guys running 1275's more than 7500 rpm, but you
   can  bet they are the ones with billet cranks, Carillo rods, and steel
   main caps.
   John
   Fogelsville, PA
   Matt Hagopian wrote:

Subject: My Spridget

Guys I just wanted to make this clear. My grandfather bought this car two
weeks ago on Ebay from Bud Pazur (member on here), He raced it twice. I
recieved the car last week, got a chance to take a quick glance, clean off
the rotors and pads of WD-40 and put the air filters on. My grandfather took
it to the track for the first time 5 days after recieving it. After one lap
the car stalled and wouldnt start back up. the coil popped out (no big
deal). re-attached and went back out, made 2.5 more laps and the engine
seized. Now, I have never worked on a spridget. My grandfather and I are
Jaguar guys (in fact we just raced in the 24 Hueres of Lemons race in
stafford springs, ct this past weekend!). So when I asked for the proceedure
on removal of the engine, I just wanted the fastest way to get it out
properly (races for the next 3 weekends). It isnt out yet, havent had a
chance. If the cylinder walls are damaged our bugeye is being bored out to a
1380cc and we will be using 12:1 pistons. I read in a magazine that a
conservative redline is 7500rpm and a race redline is 9000rpm. Im thinking
about using an 8000rpm msd chip.. any thoughts?