[Spridgets] Bugeye Lowering Question

John D. Caffrey jdc6 at Lehigh.EDU
Thu Aug 21 16:03:03 MDT 2008

   Hi Mark,

   I've  been looking for 1/4 offset springs for some time.  Made one bad
   purchase,  and  the  usual  supplier  won't sell me any unless I get 6
   orders.  So  I  am  giving up on offset springs, unless you have a set
   available?   I'll  be using 185/60R-13's and it doesn't look like I'll
   need  anything  as  much  clearance  as the offset springs. I could be
   wrong  but  the  plan  now  is  to  grind  clearance in a set of stock
   springs.  That  will  also drop the chassis some and soften the spring
   rate  to  boot. If I understand correctly the spacers are used because
   you  used  the  original U-bolt? I made heavy bars to clamp the spring
   and  will use good bolts and locknuts. I would like to see what you've
   done  though,  always interested in new ideas. pdf is good for me. I'm
   curious  to see what a well setup early suspension feels like compared
   to the three-link coilover suspension that I raced.

   Thanks,

   John, Fogelsville PA

   Mark Haynes wrote:

   I  bought  a  set of racing springs for the MKII a bunch of years ago,
   they  don't  >  lower the rear end, however there are only 3 leaves to
   them.  In  order  to  use  > the original length bolts, I fabricated a
   couple  of  Titanium  spacers that are > ~0.55" tall. I realized after
   making  them  that  I  could  install them either > above or below the
   springs  and  either have a stock ride height or a lowered > one. That
   being  said,  the  added  drop  on  a  MKII  with  wider  wheels and >
   185/60-13s  made the tires scrub the inner fender wells, even with the
   fender  >  lips  ground  off. > Obviously, that is not the case with a
   bugeye,  so  this  might  be applicable. If > you're interested in the
   pattern, email me off list and I'll see if I can find > one that I can
   send  you  in  pdf  format.  >  Mark Haynes > HAN6L12779 > HAN5L8016 >