[Spridgets] Speaking of which

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Mon Aug 4 16:06:51 MDT 2008

> Although they are distinctive in only the smallest of ways, Sprites
> deserve recognition because that was the original marque of the
> species.  We have a nice little 1966 Sprite (and earlier had a 1969) and
> don't mind at all competing with the side curtain cars or Frogeyes.  But
> we're special with a more direct line to the original.  When this comes
> up at our MG club, I vote enthusiastically to keep Sprites separate.

What utter balderdash! Your box Sprites have no more of a "direct
line to the original" than the same year of Midget does. Your Sprites
were made on the same assembly line (MG plant in Abingdon) as the
Midgets by the same people out of the same parts. No, there were no
Bugeye Midgets and no 1500 Sprites, but they were all effectively the
same car. It is true that Bugeyes tend to have an advantage over the
rest at a car show, but them's the breaks. The 1500s tend to have an
advantage autocrossing due to their torquier engines. Darn.

Remember the old adage of "divide and conquer" that worked so well for
the Romans? It works on Spridgets, too. If you want a plaque so bad
that you are afraid to compete with other Spridgets for it, let me know
and I will send you your very own plaque. Spridgets should be about
friends with common interests and shows should be an opportunity
to get together with those friends. Do you know what the dollar value of
that plaque is? Care to find out how many people know or care that
your car won a trophy? Look inside your shoes, that's the only place you
will find someone who cares. At our local British car show, the Sprites
park with the Heavey Healeys and the Midgets park with the
MG WannaBees. Dunno what they are gonna do with me this year if I
show up with one of each ;-) I dearly wish we could park together, but
I am not the organizing type, so I will probably never see it happen.
David Lieb