[Spridgets] Bugeye in Magazine

Timothy H. Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Mon Apr 14 17:59:55 MDT 2008

A neighbor passed along his copy of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car to
me - March issue. It contains a story about a restored Bugeye. The
owner did most of the work himself and it turned out to be very nice.
On page 68, however, I noticed that he assembled the tie rod ends
with the nut facing the ground. To do that he must have reversed the
steering arms so the taper would have the right orientation to match
the "Up-side-down" rod end. The rod end is bent at an odd angle.  I
think that's wrong or at least I've never seen that done before. The
British Leyland shop manual does show the rod end in the
up-side-down" orientation but that's just an illustration. Or does
this work OK and if so, what's the reason for doing so?

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/