[Spridgets] Ebay Jag

Dave Grandeffo davegran at ticon.net
Sun Apr 13 19:41:04 MDT 2008

Ron Soave wrote:

> At least one disagrees. I also had the pleasure of
> having one given to me for a month to "please put
> miles on it", and it was by far the nicest all around
> car I've driven.

Oh yeah,
I've got to agree with Ron on this one. I was lucky enough to have put
quite a few miles on two early 60's coupes while I was in my early
20's.... Compared to the Corvette of the same period, they were much
more refined. The straight six cylinder engine was almost turbine-like
in it's smoothness. An absence of wind noise at high speeds (I drove
them in Nevada and got one up to 140mph) told me that their aerodynamics
were based on physics, not marketing. The disc brakes were incredible,
having been proven earlier at LeMans. As Ron alluded, the suspension,
the seating, and the steering made the XKE become an extension of your
arms and legs. These cars were so good they were spooky.
--
Dave Grandeffo
www.kettlemorainemotorsports.com