[Spridgets] Differential bearing preload question

Flash. thefirebuilds at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 23:48:27 MDT 2007

i donno how a spridget is, but in the miata you have to set the lash
side-to-side or it will bind like this.

On 10/15/07, Hal Faulkner <hal at katemuir.com> wrote:

> While we're on the subject of bearing preload for tapered bearings...
> Has anyone ever set the preload on a spridget differential?  The bearings
> in
> my p-n-p 3.9 were a bit rough so I disassembled and cleaned. Then
> reassembled using a new spacer (distance piece) of the appropriate
> collapsable type.  When the diff was torqued to 120 and up to 140 per the
> manual there was a LOT of friction in the pinion bearings.  Using a torque
> wrench it seems the preload is somewhere around 8 to 9 ft-lbs (or is it
> lb-ft?) somewhat shy of the recommended 11- 13 lb-ft, but this seems quite
> tight.  I can't turn it by hand.  Any thoughts or suggestions from out
> there
> in Spridget land?
>
> Hal

"I didn't set goals as I went along; I just wanted to be quick as possible
and win as much as possible.  I didn't look at the past, I didn't look at
the history, I didn't look at how many rallies other people had won - you
just go and win as many rallies as you can."  Colin McRae, 08/05/1968
-  09/15/2007