[Spridgets] Differential bearing preload question

Hal Faulkner hal at katemuir.com
Sun Oct 14 23:41:50 MDT 2007

While we're on the subject of bearing preload for tapered bearings...
Has anyone ever set the preload on a spridget differential?  The bearings in
my p-n-p 3.9 were a bit rough so I disassembled and cleaned. Then
reassembled using a new spacer (distance piece) of the appropriate
collapsable type.  When the diff was torqued to 120 and up to 140 per the
manual there was a LOT of friction in the pinion bearings.  Using a torque
wrench it seems the preload is somewhere around 8 to 9 ft-lbs (or is it
lb-ft?) somewhat shy of the recommended 11- 13 lb-ft, but this seems quite
tight.  I can't turn it by hand.  Any thoughts or suggestions from out there
in Spridget land?

Hal