[Spridgets] Installing the rubber gasket to side curtains

Linda Grunthaner grunthaner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 18:01:47 MST 2007

List,
I'm trying to first figure out how the gasket fits into the side curtain of
my 62 Sprite but my bigger problem may be installing it in the first place.
I found this site from MI called Little British Car Co.
http://www.lbcarco.com/. And below is the Tech tip for the installation. But
is this the best way? Also does anyone have a closeup picture of how the
gasket fits on the frame so I put it together right?

Thanks,
Linda
62 California Sprite "Pinky"
www.freewebs.com/lgrunthaner

10/03/04

*Side Curtain Rubber Installation*
Our Tech Tip this week is from Bill Pederson.

I found it very difficult to replace the outside rubber seals in the
extruded aluminum side curtains offered by several vendor. I tried the usual
soapy water solution, graphite powder, silicon spray lubricant, freezing the
rubber strips, etc..... but nothing allowed the replacement rubber molding
to slide into the channel.

In the end, the easy way required a stubby flat bladed screwdriver about
1/4" wide. Simply place one side of the replacement seal into the channel,
and then rock the end of the blade against the other side of the rubber
strip and down into the channel. It took me about 30 minutes to complete the
entire seal installation on each side curtain . Just be sure the end of the
blade is not sharp since that would cut through the rubber seal.