[Spridgets] Installing a new rocker panel on a MKII

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Tue Jun 12 21:00:39 MDT 2007

Linda,
I wouldn't replace the fenders, unless they are bad, too.  Usually, if
the outer sill is bad, there are also problems with at least the lower
2" of the A post, and the rear quarter, just above the sill.
In order to do it right, (IMHO) it is necessary to spot (MIG plug welds
work fine) weld the base of the A post and the rear quarter to the top
of the sill.  If you study their construction carefully, you realize
that the A post and the rear fender were probably spot welded to the
sill BEFORE the outer sill, A post and fender were attached to the inner
sill and the rest of the body tub.  Soooo, the only way I know to get
those seams right AND strong is to cut the lower few inches from the A
post and the rear fender and weld them to the sill.  Just take your
time, and do lots of measuring & trial fitting before you make your
final cuts.  Then, fit and secure things very carefully and accurately
before welding anything irreversibly into place.  Get the door lined
up/fitted BEFORE you cut any of the original stuff away, and use the
door to help line the new pieces up.  A couple of small pilot holes, to
mark the correct alignment of everything, then, run some self-tapping
sheet metal screws in to hold everything accurately in place, until you
get things tack welded in.
It's kinda fun, really, and very satisfying when you get it right,
because you can't tell it from original.

Bud Osbourne