[Spridgets] Gearbox Oil

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Sun Jul 29 18:08:58 MDT 2007

Of that I have no doubt.  Of course, my friends were rebuilding their
trannys, due to wear from racing conditions, long before the additives
in the gear lube could become a factor.
I'm certainly not advocating the use of 90 wt. gear lube in Spridget
trannys.  I'm just sharing some amusing experience, from a bygone era.
My Midget still runs the same tranny it had in it when I bought it (as a
$500 beater) 25 years ago, and I still run 20W-50 engine oil in it.  It
still shifts beautifully, and I've been amazed by the longevity of it.
Of course, first gear is pretty grotty, but, at least there are no
missing teeth (I've always been very careful never to engage first gear
until the car is completely stopped).
By the way; speaking of racing.  In addition to seeing/meeting some guys
that really know what they are doing, I've encountered some of the most
bone-headed people, in relation to how they set-up & maintain their Brit
cars.
One thing I suspected, going into racing, and had confirmed beyond a
shadow of doubt, by the time I stopped racing: the BMC factory folks
really knew what they were doing, and that if I followed the advice
which they'd so helpfully put in their competition prep manuals and shop
manuals, my car would stay together and run well.
Bud Osbourne