[Spridgets] New Engine Startup: Chapter 2...it ain't pretty

Joe Lansing kidjoevid at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 11:30:42 MDT 2007

So yesterday I had my new 1275 running for about 60
seconds before it died. It was then locked up, but
turned over after a 2 hour wait. Today I tried again,
but no spark. I pull the distributer cap and find a
shattered rotor. I turn over the engin and find the
distributor shaft does not turn in sync with the
engine, but jumps. I pull the distributor, and the
spindle, and examine the innards with a mirror and
light. It appears that the hole that the dizzy spindle
sits in has broken, leaving a full third or more
missing, where the shaft can jump out. I tried
reinserting, and it goes in, but apparently jumps out
after a couple revolutions as it stops turning evenly
with the engine.

A couple questions: Is the hole that accepts the shaft
end of the distributor spindle machined directly into
the block? I can't remember, as I am not a rebuilder -
I saw the inside of this engine for a few days last
winter, and that's it. If it's snapped, can it be
welded and re-machined by Gomer's Machine Shop? I'd be
worried about alignment...

Why did it bind up in the first place? Something had
to torque the living heck out of it to break the edge
of this hole...right?

The LBC gods frown again. Let's see...if I get 60
seconds of run time after a year of work, I'll get
another half hour if I live to be really old!

Joe Lansing
#$%^& 1962 Sprite