[Spridgets] Help with clutch problem...

TMHEFFRON at aol.com TMHEFFRON at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 08:35:13 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/15/2007 6:31:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
soavero at yahoo.com writes:

TuTone,
Similar problem has been giving Peter and I fits on
White Trash. The  variable is a new Tilton clutch
cylinder (a LOT of people have had trouble  with this
setup). I adjusted the master rod every which way
possible. I  found a longer slave rod, that didn't
help. Clutch was bad 1st and 2nd  practices at Elkhart
SVRA race only when I really got the car honking.  As
soon as I backed off, all was fine. At one point I
took a 30 second  break behind a corner station and
finished the session without incident. I  bled it to
the point of insanity, both at the slave and the
master (you  can do this on the Tilton). It was fine
for the whole day on Saturday of  the event. Put in new
clutch just for shits-n-grins afterward, same  thing,
except it waited until the feature race at Blackhawk
to act up, I  ended up doing the last half of the
feature and all of the Father's Day  touring session in
4th gear. Of course, I got it home and all  was
perfect. I spoke to Rod at Spridgetech, he says to
verify the WC  flex line is a -3 AN, it is. I guess
this doesn't help you much, but I'm  entered in the
same "WTF" sweepstakes at this point. I'm going to  mod
the mounting fixture we made for the Tilton setup to
get more pedal  travel, but I think 30 or 40 more
clutch bleeds might be in order as well.  I gave up on
the Motul fluid, it was getting too expensive to bleed
it  at $18 a quart.

See you at Elkhart,
Ron

Hi Ron:

I agree the larger flex line is not helpful, and the one I had was the next
diameter larger than -3 AN.  That's why I went back to the known good 1098
slave w/ steel line.  The pedal feels much more solid.  I've gone  through vast
quantities of brake fluid, used all the bleeding techniques I know  including
the rented pressure bleeder pressurizing from the slave toward the  master.
I'm about down to buying my brake fluid in 55 gallon drums from  Kresge's,
having started with Mutul, descending to Prestone, thence to some of  the more
obscure off-brand fluids.  Still hoping to see you at Elkhart  with my Sprite -
there will be last-ditch bleed sessions between work  schedule before the
departure deadline.

TuTone