[Spits] Bumper Connection and Rubber Mounting Pads

Daniel Parrott parrotthead01 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 17 16:21:33 MDT 2012

As I move forward with the reassembly of my Spit Six project, I have a
couple of questions.

How many rubber mounting pads should there be?  From the VB catalog, it
appears that there are only 6 rubber mounting pads:  two at the rear axle
(over the rear leaf spring) and two at the "heal board" body bolts.  ( I
noticed that the "heal board" mounting holes in the frame are the only ones
that have no slack, so these needs to mounted first, right?) and two at the
seat belt mounting bolts.  Are there no rubber pads at the firewall or at
the mid outrigger mounting points?

Also, is have a pair heavy reinforcing plates that appears to be located in
front of the bonnet pivot boxes.  (Part number YKC1614, Canley Classics).

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/spitfire1500bonnetcatchhi
ngeattachmentdetailsandsealingrubbers.html
<http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/spitfire1500bonnetcatchh
ingeattachmentdetailsandsealingrubbers.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/s
pitfire1500.html&category=chassissubframesbodyshellandfittings&xsl=diagram.x
sl>
&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/spitfire1500.html&category=chassissubframesb
odyshellandfittings&xsl=diagram.xsl

It appears from the diagram that the plate should have the convex face
facing forward.  However, I don't have the space on the front of the Bonnet
Pivot Box to assemble the parts without grinding the pivot box.

My 1980 Spit has a reinforcing plate integrated with the pivot box, so I
have no reference handy.  Any help?

TIA

Dan Parrott

Savannah, Georgia