[Spits] Fuel pump installation

Nick Moseley nmoseley at telus.net
Sun Jul 15 17:29:23 MDT 2012

Sorry for the cross-post.

My question is how does one install the arm of a fuel pump in a later Spit?

I have an 80 Spit in which I installed a new fuel pump. This is the pump
designated for the later cars (78 and later), along with a spacer block,
which was duly installed.

Haynes manual says to be sure to place the arm such that it "lies on top of
the camshaft eccentric and not underneath it". I took that to mean the arm
has to be threaded into the hole in the block until it makes contact with
the cam, and then the pump can be returned to it correct vertical position
and installed against the block. (This means that the studs have to removed
from the block in order to manipulate the pump this way to get the arm into
that position).

Put another way, this means the arm is running on the "outside" of the cam
(so between the cam and the wall of the block), and no part of it runs
underneath the cam.

The arm of the new pump broke.

Did I have it installed correctly but it was a bad part, or should I have
acted counter to Haynes, and had the arm run on the "inside" of the cam?

I've re-installed the old pump, which has a different style arm,  and will
order a new pump, but would like to be sure I am installing it the correct
way before risking another $50 pump.

Many thanks

Nick Moseley

database 7301 (20120715) __________