[Spits] Cutting spot welds

Phil Cleobury cleoburyp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 09:09:11 MDT 2012

Drill (or use spot wield remover if your wealthy) same size as spot on
each spot to weaken spot, (only through first piece of sheet metal) -
Air chisel in the gap of the two sheets use split end chisel - keep it
sharp as it does some cutting - mainly used as a wedge to separate the
pannals...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200342899_200342899?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Air%20Tools-_-Air%20Hammers-_-1540331&ci_sku=1540331&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
<http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200342899_200342899?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Air%20Tools-_-Air%20Hammers-_-1540331&ci_sku=1540331&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=%7Bkeyword%7D>
- bent back old sheet as you go along to minimize distortion of original
panel - old sheet pops off easily
Repair flatten flanges of old sheet metal
http://www.eastwood.com/7-pc-body-and-fender-pro-set-fiberglass-handles.html
Clean up whats left of old spot wields on origional under sheet metal
with grinder with sand disk (not grinding wheel) shiny metal finish
where spot are to be ("earth" for easy mig  wielding)
Remove surface rust/contamination - clean up original panels
Paint inside of new and old panels  with Por15 or Wield through primer
Add spot holes in new sheet (approx 3 inches  - 5 inches apart) with
drill and wood block behind for support (can create distortion) or metal
joggler http://www.minimag.co.uk/2010/08/16/on-test-jogglers/
Clean paint off around spot wield holes with sanding disk (if using
por15 - should wield if using wield through primer) or
Touch drill through spot wields for earthing purposes
Secure Replacement panel in place with sheet metal screws having used a
small drill to allow thread to take or use holes that accidentally got
drilled right through! - in at least 20% of holes and/or use mole grips
to prevent movement or distortion due to heat when wielding
Ensure two sheets are CLOSE together to prevent bad wield - use body
work hammer dollies
http://www.eastwood.com/7-pc-body-and-fender-pro-set-fiberglass-handles.html
Plug wield with Mig wielder - high wire feed/high amperage/short burst
to fill hole - to not blow away metal/slightly further distance from
material than normal seam wielding
Fettle clean up excess wield from pulging - if you get it right this is
minimal - amount of time of wielding and earthing are critical