[Spits] Spitfire Oil Temp

Roger Elliott elliottr at rmi.net
Tue Sep 13 18:02:28 MDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

It took me a while to get this checked out.

Several people suggested getting an infrared meter, which I did.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Most places on the oil pan it was around 200 - 212 degrees.  But around
the exhaust it was about 255 degrees.  The oil pump pickup is right
behind that area of the oil pan.

When I rebuilt the engine several years ago, the mechanic as I recall
suggested making a heat shield to go between the exhaust and the oil
pan.  I purchased some materials to do that but never got it done.  Now
I am wondering if it is the reason for my oil pressure being a bit low.

Roger