[Spits] Spitfire Shiftless issue

Bill Gingerich bill at gingerich.us
Wed May 25 11:15:31 MDT 2011

Mike,

I had a similar situation in my '74 a couple years back.  In my case it was
the pivot pin for the clutch release lever.  They tend to fall out.  If it's
only part way out you might be able to drive a bolt through the hole in the
bell housing.  If it is gone, then you pretty much have to pull the gearbox.
If you put the bolt in from the top the bolt head keeps the problem from
happening again.

Some other (possibly simplistic) thoughts:  Check the position of the slave
cylinder.  They can move some in the bell housing.  Make sure it is all the
way forward when you tighten the pinch bolt.  Also the slave cylinder push
rod can wear.  I'd also check the pivots for the brake pedal arm itself, and
where it connects to the master cylinder.  And make sure the bleed screw is
in the top hole of the slave.  If it's on the bottom you'll never get it
bled properly.

Let us know what you find.

BillG
Hastings, MN
'74 Spit and various other Triumph projects